Fungal infections are quite common in people nowadays. Some of the common symptoms of this condition include nail breaking, cracking, and thickening. Fungal infections occur when fungus enters your nails. What are the causes of toenail fungus? Continue reading to know about it.
- If your skin gets in contact with someone who already has the fungal infection, you are more likely to experience this condition.
- Walking barefoot in places where fungus grows quickly such as locker rooms, pool areas, etc.
- Sharing your towels, handkerchief, and nail clippers with others.
- Wearing wet or sweaty shoes or socks.
- Not washing your socks regularly.
People from any age group can experience this problem, but the below-listed people are generally at a greater risk for this problem.
- Aged people.
- Diabetic people.
- Injured nails.
- Psoriasis, HIV, and cancer patients.
Whom should you contact for the treatment?
Most people ignore the problems like this, thinking that they go away as the days pass by. Few people try some home remedies to get rid of this condition. Home remedies that you try may or may not show the results. If your problem becomes severe, no doubt, it is going to be extremely painful. Hence, it is important to contact a podiatrist immediately. As podiatrists are experts in treating foot-related problems, take their appointment to get rid of the infection easily.
The main advantage of choosing podiatrists, they will focus on the root cause of the problem. They will also suggest safe medications to you. They will suggest surgery to their patients, only when medications don’t work. If your problem is severe, your podiatrist might recommend laser toenail fungus removal. As this treatment is pretty safe and not painful, you can go for it without any worries.
For laser treatment for toenail fungus, your podiatrist does not use anesthesia. If you think that this problem won’t come back after taking the treatment, you are mistaken. After taking the treatment, you must be careful about the things which can cause infection. When using the medications for toenail fungus, look for the signs such as jaundice, irregular heartbeat, dark urine, and pale stool. If you observe any of them, report them to your podiatrist.
How to prevent toenail fungus?
- Keep your nails short always whether it is for your foot or hands. Trimming your nails regularly is important.
- If you have a habit of wearing shoes regularly, it is better to use the anti-fungal powder inside your shoes.
- If your entire family has a habit of sharing nail clippers, ensure that you sanitize them before using them. Recommend the same to your other family members too.
- Clean your legs properly after going back to your home. It is better to soak your foot in lukewarm water for about 5mins daily before going to sleep daily. After that, take a smooth towel and pat them dry. It would be better if you moisturize your foot post doing this.
- If you have washed your socks, ensure that they are completely dry before using them. Follow the same in the case of shoes as well.
When you go for the laser treatment, your podiatrist will clean the dead skin cells on the affected area first. Most podiatrists do this on the same day as the procedure. However, some do it 2 to 3 days beforehand. Once the dead skin cells are removed, your podiatrist will use a sterile solution to clean your whole foot. Now your foot will be kept in a position directly to the laser. For most people, a single sitting is enough.
If you require multiple sessions, your podiatrist will let you know about it, looking at your condition. It may take around 20mins to 30mins for each session. How can I understand whether the treatment is working or not? Is it your question now?
You will observe discoloration of nails. Your nail no more looks detached. Some people might recover quickly after the treatment, while for some people it might take 3 to 6 months for the recovery. It all depends on the body type and severity of the condition. However, you can get back to your work immediately after the treatment. But it is better to take at least 2 to 3 days rest at your home after getting the treatment done.
Try the toenail fungus laser treatment, to stay comfortable!